The installation of hardwood flooring can be an expensive affair but the beauty of such floors can uplift the overall look of the house or room. Just as much as they are beautiful to look at, it is also important that they have to be kept clean. Cleaning such floors can be a real task and it can be really challenging when you have kids and pets in the house.
It is not just dust or dirt that is the enemy, but even the slightest scratch or stain can take away the beauty of these floors. If you want your floors to look as good as new, make sure you clean them regularly. Here are a few tips that can help keep your hardwood floors clean and shining for years to come. These tips will also help to make the cleaning process more simple and easy.
In the kitchen and areas where there is a lot of movement
- Keep a rug or mat at places where there is a lot of movement like the main door and outside the bathrooms and near the cooktop. You need to make sure that the mat is made from cloth and not rubber.
- While cooking, be careful of oil spattering on the floor. Always clean it up immediately to prevent it from staining or damaging the floors.
Seasonal care and precautionary measures
- During the cold seasons, it is natural that the heaters will be on; use a humidifier to prevent the wood from shrinking. You need to make sure that humidity level in the house should be between 35-55%.
- During the rainy season, make sure that the windows are closed to protect the flooring. Water, in general, can ruin the floors; this is why you have to watch out.
For stains and spills
- If anybody spills any liquid, clean it with a damp cloth or mop immediately so that it does not form any stain.
- If dried or caked food spills then take it out with a knife blade that is sharp but at the same time be careful not to scratch the floor. Buff and re-wax the area after you have taken out the stain.
- In case the stains are stubborn or very old, you can use the cleaners that have been recommended by the manufacturer. Avoid using cleaners which are water or petroleum based.
Using cleaning products
- Use cleaning products that are recommended by the manufacturer.
- Before using any solution on the floor, make sure that you pre-clean the floor first to prevent it from getting damaged or scratched.
- Use a soft broom while cleaning the floor or removing debris, you can also use a suction type or raised beater vacuum cleaner.
- Avoid using a steam mop or a wet mop while cleaning the floors. It can cause staining of the floor and will also make it look very dull.
- After you are done with the cleaning, make sure that you let the floor dry properly before moving around.
- Ensure that your floor is protected from the sunlight
- Recoat the floors when you find that the shine and luster is Do not do it by yourself unless you are a professional in recoating. Instead hire a person to do the job for you.
- Do not let anybody walk around with heels, soles or shoes that can cause damage to the flooring.
- Do not drag things across, instead carry them, and if you are alone get someone to help you out. Dragging will create more scratches on the floor. If you have to drag anything heavy make sure that you place a plywood panel or something to protect the floor and then drag it across.
- For pet owners, make sure that the nails are filed and trimmed to reduce the indentations and scratches. If you have cats in the house, ensure you have scratch posts kept to avoid them from scratching the floors.
- Over the years, it is natural that gaps can be formed; this is why you need to make sure that you get the gaps fixed and take the necessary preventive measures that are causing them.
- Use furniture pads to protect the flooring and to ensure that there are no marks on the floor; this includes heavy furniture, tables, and chairs