Developing allergies due to the air or environment in and around your house can be one of the worse things. The irritants that cause such allergies often results in a person falling regularly. A person develops various symptoms like sore or scratchy throat, itch or streaming eyes, stuffy head, blocked nose, cough and even breathlessness and conditions like asthma, wheezing, fever etc.
This is why you need to ensure that the house is kept clean at all times so that it does not trigger your asthma or fever. No Doubt, cleaning the house can be time consuming and complicated, however, it is essential that this has to be done as a preventive measure. Here are a few tips that can help make the cleaning task easier and faster.
- The Bedroom is one of the most important places which have to be kept clean especially if you have allergies. Every corner has to be dusted and cleaned properly to ensure that there is no dust or dirt. While cleaning the bedroom make sure that you use a damp cloth in areas where it is possible.
- Ensure that you have covers for your mattresses and pillows which are dust mite proof. Even the bed sheets and covers needs to be changed once a week and soak them in hot water. Air your pillows and mattresses in the sun once in fifteen days or in a month for a few hours.
Living Room cleaning
- The furniture of the living room should be cleaned regularly. They should be vacuumed at least once in a week for better results.
- The carpets in the living room should be cleaned by a professional at least once in a month.
- If you have plants in the house, make sure you take out the weed regularly and keep the area clean. If possible, avoid having them inside the house or else spread gravel that is used in aquariums for containing the mold.
- For people who have a fireplace in the house or live in an area where one is needed, opt for the fireplaces that run on natural gas. This will help in the reduction of gases, debris and smoke forming due to the burning of wood.
- Cleaning the stove and sink everyday is a really good habit and practice. Even while you’re cooking ensure that you have a chimney or an exhaust so that the smoke can go out.
- Clean your refrigerator so that it is free from mold and fungus. Make sure that the tray, shelves and draws of the fridge are washed regularly.
- Make sure your dustbin has a lid and is kept clean everyday to avoid cockroaches or rodents from infesting your kitchen.
- Store your food stuff in air tight containers and ensure your pantry is also kept clean and dust free.
General cleaning all over the house
- The blinds and curtains of your house should be kept clean by washing them regularly. In case you have blinds, make sure the shades are the roller type which can be washed easily.
- Cleaning the window railings is really important since a lot of dirt and dust gets accumulated there. During the pollen seasons keep the windows closed and turn on the AC. Clean the mold that is formed in the sills and frames.
- The furniture’s have to be kept clean; it would be advisable to have materials that are easy to clean like laminated wood or metal furniture. If you have pets in the house, avoid having upholstered furniture since cleaning those can take a long time. Instead choose materials like leather or rexine which is easier to clean.
- Make sure that your room is clutter free, keep everything in place and as much as possible inside the drawers or cupboards. If you have children in the house, make sure that their toys are kept in storage boxes
- Vacuum your room at least once in a week to take care of the dirt and dust particles that are present in hard to reach places. If possible use an Air Filter in the room which comes with the HEPA filter. This will help to keep the air clean, make sure you have one filter in your bedroom and one in the hall for better results.
- Clean the floors properly to help prevent the formation of mold; this is especially in the cases where water is used the most like the bathrooms or kitchen or in damp and stuffy areas like the basement or attic. Also make sure that the corners are cleaned properly, if possible avoid using a cloth and wash the floors using a water sweeper. This would be beneficial especially if you have pets in house so that the fur does not spread all over the house.
- Make sure that your house is properly ventilated and there is a cross circulation of the air, clean your fans and AC vents regularly. During the early mornings or afternoons and especially when you are cleaning make sure the windows are kept open.