Gone are the days when a normal, basic garden would pique your child’s curiosity easily. Today’s children are more interested in themed gardens. Miniature fairy gardens and mermaid gardens are trending in recent times. However, there is one miniature garden that has got today’s kids all hyped up. It is straight out of Jurassic World. Yes, we are looking at the dinosaur gardens! Not only these DIY dinosaur gardens enliven your child’s interest and curiosity in history and science, they also make your child actively take interest in the green world of gardening. If you too are looking to achieve two targets with a single arrow, here are some dinosaur garden ideas that you and your child can together work on in your home garden!
Make your own DIY dinosaur garden with these amazing dinosaur garden ideas!
When it comes to making a DIY dinosaur garden, there are certain objects that you must have with you. The first thing to have is some plastic dinosaurs. If you do not have these plastic dinosaurs, you can go to a local store and buy some easily.
Next comes nature. Do you remember what your history teacher told you about the kind of environment the dinosaur lived in before it became extinct? You need to create exactly that environment! For that, you need to go to your home garden and collect leaves, branches, and stones. You can also head out to a nursery and purchase some plants, shrubs, and bushes – such as miniature ferns, moss, terrariums, and succulents.
Don’t forget the essentials. Get a big container. You can also use a whiskey barrel if you have one. Make sure that you have the potting soil, some large, medium, and small rocks, and some sticks and twigs. You can also include some bright colored acrylic paints for the mountains and the volcanoes.
When it comes to plants, fennel, dinosaur kale, lavender, spinach, and lettuce will do the work. However, if you want to add a touch of herbs to your DIY dinosaur garden, then you can use rosemary, thyme, peppers, oregano, mint, parsley, and cilantro (coriander).
How to make a dinosaur garden:
If you are wondering how to make a dinosaur garden, remember that there are many dinosaur garden ideas out there. However, a basic DIY dinosaur garden can be created by following the next few steps:
- Place the largest rock with you on a piece of newspaper in a peak-side-up position. Drizzle some red and yellow paint over it in a way that it looks like the lava is flowing. Set aside to dry for a day.
- Fill the container with the potting soil. Leave 2-3 inches at the top. Place the volcano rock in the middle and surround it with the medium and small rocks.
- Arrange your plants, vegetables, and herbs around the rocks. If required, top them with some more potting soil.
- Lastly, place your miniature dinosaurs strategically to finish your miniature DIY dinosaur garden!
- Place the pot in the sunlight and water it regularly to maintain the beauty of one of the best dinosaur garden ideas.
These dinosaur garden ideas are economical as they cost practically nothing! You only need to take out your wallet to buy plastic dinosaur figurines. Maybe even the paint if you don’t have it at home. But, with your lawn, yard, or garden in place, you just need to pluck whatever else you need from nature. Once you understand how to make a dinosaur garden, creating a DIY dinosaur garden with your child is a child’s play.